|Age||Commit message (Collapse)||Author||Lines|
per POSIX, ENOENT is reserved for invalid stream position; it is an
optional error and would only happen if the application performs
invalid seeks on the underlying file descriptor. however, linux's
getdents syscall also returns ENOENT if the directory was removed
between the time it was opened and the time of the read. we need to
catch this case and remap it to simple end-of-file condition (null
pointer return value like an error, but no change to errno). this
issue reportedly affects GNU make in certain corner cases.
rather than backing up and restoring errno, I've just changed the
syscall to be made in a way that doesn't affect errno (via an inline
syscall rather than a call to the __getdents function). the latter
still exists for the purpose of providing the public getdents alias
which sets errno.
the arch-specific bits/alltypes.h.sh has been replaced with a generic
alltypes.h.in and minimal arch-specific bits/alltypes.h.in.
this commit is intended to have no functional changes except:
- exposing additional symbols that POSIX allows but does not require
- changing the C++ name mangling for some types
- fixing the signedness of blksize_t on powerpc (POSIX requires signed)
- fixing the limit macros for sig_atomic_t on x86_64
- making dev_t an unsigned type (ABI matching goal, and more logical)
in addition, some types that were wrongly defined with long on 32-bit
archs were changed to int, and vice versa; this change is
non-functional except for the possibility of making pointer types
mismatch, and only affects programs that were using them incorrectly,
and only at build-time, not runtime.
the following changes were made in the interest of moving
non-arch-specific types out of the alltypes system and into the
headers they're associated with, and also will tend to improve
- netdb.h now includes netinet/in.h (for socklen_t and uint32_t)
- netinet/in.h now includes sys/socket.h and inttypes.h
- sys/resource.h now includes sys/time.h (for struct timeval)
- sys/wait.h now includes signal.h (for siginfo_t)
- langinfo.h now includes nl_types.h (for nl_item)
for the types in stdint.h:
- types which are of no interest to other headers were moved out of
the alltypes system.
- fast types for 8- and 64-bit are hard-coded (at least for now); only
the 16- and 32-bit ones have reason to vary by arch.
and the following types have been changed for C++ ABI purposes;
- mbstate_t now has a struct tag, __mbstate_t
- FILE's struct tag has been changed to _IO_FILE
- DIR's struct tag has been changed to __dirstream
- locale_t's struct tag has been changed to __locale_struct
- pthread_t is defined as unsigned long in C++ mode only
- fpos_t now has a struct tag, _G_fpos64_t
- fsid_t's struct tag has been changed to __fsid_t
- idtype_t has been made an enum type (also required by POSIX)
- nl_catd has been changed from long to void *
- siginfo_t's struct tag has been removed
- sigset_t's has been given a struct tag, __sigset_t
- stack_t has been given a struct tag, sigaltstack
- suseconds_t has been changed to long on 32-bit archs
- [u]intptr_t have been changed from long to int rank on 32-bit archs
- dev_t has been made unsigned
summary of tests that have been performed against these changes:
- nsz's libc-test (diff -u before and after)
- C++ ABI check symbol dump (diff -u before, after, glibc)
- grepped for __NEED, made sure types needed are still in alltypes
- built gcc 3.4.6
to deal with the fact that the public headers may be used with pre-c99
compilers, __restrict is used in place of restrict, and defined
appropriately for any supported compiler. we also avoid the form
[restrict] since older versions of gcc rejected it due to a bug in the
original c99 standard, and instead use the form *restrict.
based on patch by Emil Renner Berthing, with minor changes to dirent.h
for LFS64 and organization of declarations
this code should work unmodified once a real strverscmp is added, but
I've been hesitant to add it because the GNU strverscmp behavior is
harmful in a lot of cases (for instance if you have numeric filenames
in hex). at some point I plan on trying to design a variant of the
algorithm that behaves better on a mix of filename styles.
i did some testing trying to switch malloc to use the new internal
lock with priority inheritance, and my malloc contention test got
20-100 times slower. if priority inheritance futexes are this slow,
it's simply too high a price to pay for avoiding priority inversion.
maybe we can consider them somewhere down the road once the kernel
folks get their act together on this (and perferably don't link it to
glibc's inefficient lock API)...
as such, i've switch __lock to use malloc's implementation of
lightweight locks, and updated all the users of the code to use an
array with a waiter count for their locks. this should give optimal
performance in the vast majority of cases, and it's simple.
malloc is still using its own internal copy of the lock code because
it seems to yield measurably better performance with -O3 when it's
inlined (20% or more difference in the contention stress test).
this resolves an issue reported by Vasiliy Kulikov
basically there are 3 choices for how to implement this variable-size
1. C99 flexible array member: breaks using dirent.h with pre-C99 compiler.
2. old way: length-1 string: generates array bounds warnings in caller.
3. new way: length-NAME_MAX string. no problems, simplifies all code.
of course the usable part in the pointer returned by readdir might be
shorter than NAME_MAX+1 bytes, but that is allowed by the standard and
doesn't hurt anything.
1. saved errno was not being restored, illegally clearing errno to 0.
2. no need to backup and save errno around free; it will not touch
except perhaps when the program has already invoked UB...